Despite all your good intentions and timely maintenance, semi truck towing in Duncan, OK can still prove necessary from time to time. Unexpected developments can leave you stranded, and when they do, you will need to call in a tow. Semi truck towing is a specialty in of itself, and even if your personal automobile has been towed before, this will not be the same experience. Here is how to stay safe and what to expect when you need to tow your semi truck:
- Pull over safely: Unlike your compact vehicle at home, your semi truck is at least very visible. No matter where you pull over, it is likely other drivers will see you and avoid crashing into your truck. However, that does not mean you can park anywhere you wish and block the flow of traffic. When your engine sputters or your electronic connection gives way, guide the truck to the safest place possible where you will be not only noticeable but also out of the way.
- Take precautions: Turn off everything in the coach but your four-way lights. If there is a fire starting, or if you suspect one, leave the truck immediately. Once outside, check for fluid leaks or any other obvious damage or disrepair. At this point, it is time to call your service provider for towing and repair services.
- Call a specialist: Even if you have a good friend in the area who tows vehicles for a living, always stick with the specialist your fleet manager or insurance company recommends. Tow vehicles require 125,000 pound GVW permits to pull semis, and anything less than that is a serious safety risk. Also, you need someone who knows how to tow a semi truck. This is a completely different enterprise within the towing field. Do not stray from recommendations.
- Expect this to take a while: Remove the drive shaft before your semi is towed, or you may need to replace the transmission later. If your tow operator refuses this step, call someone else as this is an expensive mistake to make. Put air in the coach so the leveling system continues to work. Suspension and brakes should be adjusted next for towing. This is a process that takes several steps, so you should not bother being in a hurry.
- Know your destination: While waiting for the tow truck or getting your semi repaired, you should have a business name and address for your tow facility. If you do all this while riding with the tow operator, you may drive up mileage and waste time and money. This information should be readily available from dispatch if you drive for a fleet, or from your insurance or roadside assistance provider if you drive independently.
If you have suffered a breakdown, take that as a reminder to stay current on maintenance. For semi truck towing in Duncan, OK, as well as repair and maintenance, contact Heavy Truck & Trailer Parts. We can get your truck back on the road as soon as possible.